Thursday, March 15, 2012

Homemade Waffles...

There's nothing like something homemade when your sick...and in the case of my kids they ask for homemade waffles.  This is all thanks to my Mom for the waffle maker she found for me at Dollar General around Christmastime...oh, and the waffle recipe she e-mailed me. If you like foods that are comforting then you'll definitely love this one.  Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups all purpose flour (can use whole wheat)
  • 1 3/4 c milk (If batter is thick add 2 cups instead of 1 3/4)
  • 1/2 cup oil (1/2 cup melted margarine can be used)
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar (I like to use brown sugar)
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Heat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Spray nonstick spray before pouring a scant 2/3 c batter from cup or pitcher onto center of hot waffle iron (I use my Pampered Chef pourable measuring bowl).
Close the lid of waffle iron. Bake for about five minutes or until steaming stops. Usually when I can lightly lift the lid and it comes off the waffle that's when I know it's done.
To finish I top with butter, a sprinkling of powdered sugar (This became my favorite in college!!), and a thin spread of syrup.  Not lo-carb but when you're sick who cares, right?
Ahhh...these are the best. If you want to cut calories you can substitute 1 egg plus 2 egg whites for the two eggs and 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce for 1/4 cup oil.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy--I know we did!!

No comments:

Post a Comment