Thursday, May 24, 2012

Before it All Began...


Tomorrow my husband and I celebrate yet another anniversary--NOT a wedding anniversary. I'm going to call it a "Relationship Anniversary", for sake of a better title. I don't want to spoil the surprise by telling you what exactly we're celebrating (At least I will be. I'll have to remind my husband.)...but not until tomorrow. What I would like to do is take you back seven years ago to a time in my life before kids; before a husband; before this crazy, hectic, wonderful life we have together today. Enjoy!
*************************
"The End..." I sighed snapping the book shut and tossing it onto the bed.

Seriously, do people really think that's what makes a good love story? I thought sarcasticly. This was the third book in a week that I had read. Same story line, same characters, same problems, same "love at first site" scenario. Sickening, that's what it was. Who lives like that?

I rolled over, clicking the switch on the lamp next to the bed. Darkness enveloped the room and I lay there with only my thoughts to comfort me.

My life was nothing like those sappy romantic suspense books. I was twenty-five. Single. A science and math high school teacher. A geek, really. Yes, a 5 foot 9 inch geek to be exact. I was passionate about teaching school, piano, volleyball...even passionate about politics. And being passionate also made me intimidating. Not that I was trying to be intimidating, but I must have been since my present status was still "Single."

There was no dark past to brood over. No morbid nightmares to fill my lonely nights. Oh don't get me wrong. I had nightmares but they were more along the lines of being an old maid still living at home.

Maybe I should move out. Get an apartment, I thought.

And miss the comforts that only living with my parents could bring? Nah. Not worth it.

What about a sports car? I'd always wanted a yellow mustang. But that would mean a car payment. The car I had was already paid off. Why put myself in bondage to yet another car loan?

Hmmm….I thought on that for a moment.

Well, what else was I going to spend my money on?

I smiled in the darkness. That's exactly what I'd do. Hey, if I was going to be single I might as well enjoy it, milk it for all it's worth.

Sleep began to claim me as a nagging little doubt started in the back of my mind.

But what if….

I forced aside the drowsiness to address the cloud of doubt.

What if I happened to meet someone in the coming months? What is we *gasp* got married? Then what would I do with a sports car AND a car payment?

R-i-g-h-t. Like that would ever happen.

I sighed snuggling deeper under the covers and surrendered to the sweet peace of sleep. My dreams soon filled with hundreds of women just like me: Old maids...spinsters.  All driving yellow Mustangs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment