Monday, October 29, 2012

Pioneer Woman's Fried Mozzarella...

Our life here in southeast Texas has been a little...well, "CRAZY" due to putting our house on the market and packing up our worldly possessions in preparation for our move three states away. What used to be my normal, regular schedule has actually been turned upside down and I've found myself floundering to just keep up. My DVR is loaded with this new season of "Pioneer Woman" and this last week I found myself needing to break out a new recipe to get out of this new, chaotic rut we're running in.

Remember this little book that used to be my constant recipe companion?
Much to the amusement of my husband I even bought the Kindle version from Amazon, which is still listed for $3.99 over at Amazon.com. He couldn't understand why I wanted the digital version when I already had it in book form. To tell you the truth I was a little surprised at my actions too until I was perusing through and saw that many of the recipes include video demonstrations. See, I'm not so crazy after all!

So let me get back to the real reason for this post. I want to introduce to you the latest "Pioneer Woman" recipe that I tried: Fried Mozzarella.
Sorry there's not picture of my final product. By the time I remembered to take one they were all gone, a good sign that the recipe was a success!!

Here's what you need:

16 pieces string cheese, removed from their wrappers
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 cups Panko break crumbs
1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
Canola oil, for frying
Marinara sauce, for dipping

Here's what you do:

Slice the string cheese pieces in half for a total of 32 pieces.

Place the flour in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. In a third bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the parsley flakes. Then one by one roll the mozzarella pieces in the flour. Briefly dunk them in the egg/milk mixture. Finally, roll them in the panko mixture. Use your hands if necessary to get the crumbs to adhere.

Place the mozzarella pieces on a baking sheet, then place them in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes to flash freeze.

To fry the mozzarella, heat 1 1/2 inches of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the mozzarella stick 6 to 8 pieces at a time.  Watch them closely and turn them over to brown evenly. they should cook for less than 2 minutes; make sure the cheese doesn't start to bubble and leak!

Remove the stick to a paper-towel lines plate and serve immediately with warm marinara sauce.

Let me just say these were delicious! I did mine for a Ladies Meeting but am going to do them again for my family. The kids will LOVE them! 

Be sure to check out the kindle version of "The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier" available on Amazon.com for only $3.99! It's way worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment