Monday, November 19, 2012

Livin' Up to My Nickname...

When I was little my Mom called me "Squirrel". Why? You're guess is as good as mine. I don't remember ever acting like one and I certainly do NOT have a bushy tail. They are kinda' cute though. Maybe that was why?

But this last weekend I found myself actually calling on my inner squirrel to help gather an unexpected treasure in our backyard...
Pecans...or "acorns" as Michael calls them...or "pinecones" as Melody calls them! My pecan trees actually had a FABULOUS crop this year! They're ev-ery-where!!

It wasn't until my father-in-law said we could make money on shelled pecans that I went all "Squirrel Commando", tossing pecans left and right into grocery bags.

Why did I wait until right before we sell this house to decide to take advantage of my pecan trees? So glad you asked...

The first year Hurricane Ike came through right before harvest time and pretty much wiped out anything that was produced. The second year I had just had a baby and was simply trying to make it through the day with a newborn and a fifteen-month old--ALIVE. The third year we had just come off of having a drought and let's just say not alot survived around here let alone produced a crop.

But this year? After one hour of scrounging around the yard I came up with three grocery bags FULL of pecans--the two above and a gallon-sized bag I've already shelled...
I have yet to decide what to do with them, especially since there are two more trees left to harvest under; and the blisters on my fingers from the nutcracker are begging for a reprieve. Maybe you could leave me an idea. One thing I do see, however, is alot of baking in my future!

Anybody for some pecans?

No comments:

Post a Comment