Monday, January 14, 2013

I'm Just A Nerd...

My husband tells me often that he wishes it hadn't taken until we were in our late twenties to meet and fall in love.  What would it have been like, he said, if we had met in high school?

Hmmm....

My mind races back to my high school days...and I cringe. You see here in lies the problem: my husband was a jock in high school, captain of the local high school football team that made it to 4-A state semi-finals, star player...you know, the guy that girls like me back then would have fainted had he even said "Hello."
He assures me he would have liked me even then. I tell him he would have been around me just to cheat off my school work. He smiles this most adorable smile and I think, I would have definitely let you just to have you smile at me.

But then I remember me...

I warned him early on in our relationship, I think it was when we first started e-mailing, that I've always been a science geek and a book devour-er. I fell in love with science and math when I was in junior high and never got over it. Let me rephrase that: you can forget about Physics and Calculus. Who needs those anyways. But everything else? It's just a perfect explanation as to why I became a high school science and math teacher.

And books? I had a new one everyday in my backpack. Always! Same today it's just a little more technical. Like, a new book on my Kindle everyday.

So over the last few weeks I've noticed a common theme running through one of my boards over at Pinterest. Do you know how many "Nerd Girl Problem" quotes I've pinned?

Let's just make this "Nerd Girl" humiliation complete by quoting a few of my favorites:
  • Nerd Girl Problem #195: Your idea of an outdoor activity is taking your book outside to read.
  • Nerd Girl Problem #64: People think you are weird because like to smell books. (There's just something about that smell...Ahhhh)
  • Nerd Girl Problem #334: The book you really want is never at the library. (I HATE that!!)
  • Nerd Girl Problem #386:  When you finish a book in a day, and have to wait a year for the sequel. (I have recently sworn off reading trilogies until the whole set is out. That should take care of that problem!)
  • Nerd Girl Problem #113: Books are getting expensive. (Right?)
  • Nerd Girl Problem #65:  You constantly correct everyone's grammar. (Even when I read a book!)
  • Nerd Girl Problem #45: Having to put a great book down to do things like sleep or eat. (Thank goodness for Kindle. I can read in the dark without disturbing anyone!)
  • Nerd Girl Problem: #395: You can't stop your eyes from flitting across the page in your book to catch a word or two of what may happen next. (How about just the end of the book? If it has a good ending it must be a GREAT book!)
  • Nerd Girl Problem #258:  You suggest books to your non-nerdy friends and they don't understand their awesomeness. (Why does that always make me feel like a nerd? Oh wait...duh!)
And my personal favorite...
  • Nerd Girl Problem #250: Being so absorbed in a book you don't hear people calling your name. (Oooops...Sorry! Were you talking to me?)
Fifteen years have passed since I graduated high school and I realize I'm just as big a nerd girl now as I was then. But I feel an arm around my shoulders, drawing me closer to something warm and inviting.  And as I snuggle up next to my dear hubby I smile and think, I'm one lucky nerd!

No comments:

Post a Comment