Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Good Morning Muffins...

For the last five days my Mom and I have been alternating between cleaning out closets and cabinets, doing laundry, and organizing school curriculum to simply just vegetating on the couch or bed. You would think that after five days my mouth would be back to normal from having wisdom teeth removed but I never realized just how extensive my oral surgery would be. There is progress but it is still hard to chew with the lower portion of my mouth still numb and the jaw soreness limiting just how far I can open my mouth. I've tried eating more solid foods but the pain is just not worth it right now. So I'm all about the soft foods!

...And do I have a recipe for you! Last Saturday, August 4th, the new season of Pioneer Woman started on the Food Network; and yesterday, August 6th, Mom and I tried one of her recipes: "Good Morning Muffins." Oh, this is definitely a keeper!  Here's how the recipe goes:

Good Morning Muffins

You will need:
  • 4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
  • Generous 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1/4 Cup shortening
  • 2 Cup orange marmalade
  • 1 Cup orange juice
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 whole eggs, beaten
For the topping:
  • 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 Cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. melted butter
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  • For the muffin, sift flour, sugar, and baking powder. Place in a mixing bowl. Use a pastry cutter to mix in butter and shortening.
  • Mix marmalade, orange juice, and vanilla in a separate bowl then pour into the flour mixture. Add the beat eggs and mix gently, using fewer than 10 strokes.
  • Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray before adding one ice cream sized scoop. Add 1 heaping teaspoon of the topping mixture (sugar, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt mixed together). 
  • Bake 20-22 minutes.
To find a printable version of Ree's recipe then click HERE and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. They look great! If I weren't back on Atkins, I'd try them. Hope you continue to heal well. Wisdom teeth extractions are no fun at all!

    ReplyDelete