Saturday, March 16, 2013

Time for a Check-Up...

I ran across a quote the other day that I've been mulling over. And then while doing my Bible reading yesterday, I came across a verse in Matthew 9 and a little light bulb went on in my brain.

Do you experience times where you don't feel very useful to God? After all we are the ones who truly know everything about ourselves: our deepest thoughts, desires, and even secrets. When I really start to think about the "real" me, I don't like myself very much. I wonder why God would even want to use yucky, ol' me.

But then there's 2 Corinthians 12:9--"And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness..."

I never stopped to consider that the following people in the Bible, who were greatly used by God, had problems of their own:
  • Jacob was a cheater.
  • Peter had a temper.
  • David had an affair.
  • Noah got drunk.
  • Jonah ran from God.
  • Paul was a murderer.
  • Gideon was insecure.
  • Miriam was a gossip.
  • Martha was a worrier.
  • Thomas was a doubter.
  • Sara was impatient.
  • Elijah was moody.
  • Moses stuttered.
  • Zaccheus was short.
  • Abraham was old.
  • Lazarus was dead.
Did you recognize the names in this list? Do you remember how the Lord used them in spite of what they did?

Now, let me introduce Matthew 9:12 when Jesus was answering the Pharisees as to why He was eating with the publicans and sinners--"...They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick." And then the end of verse 13--"...for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

It's the sinners God uses: those who know how dirty and un-useful they are. When they see that they are sick and sinful, then they will see their need for THE Physician. He is the only One who can make them whole and the One who will give then strength by His grace to do great things for Him.

Feeling un-useful? It may be time to see the Doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment