Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Going Big...

If your going to have a disease why not have a cool one: like Hashimotos, for example. Makes it sound like I've acquired a super power or impressive ninja like moves. I'd be....UNSTOPPABLE!

A few years ago I was suffering months of never ending sickness, brain fog, hair loss, weight gain, extreme sleepiness, fatigue that weighted my limbs to the point it seemed useless to try and move...basically, I was pretty much worthless. Blood tests revealed critically low levels of Vitamin D and an antibody count that was over 600 when the normal range is 30-60. When I noticed an enlargement of my lower neck I pretty much thought my prognosis would not be good.

Hashimotos. Um....what? Don't worry. I had never heard of it either and nearly said "Gesundheit" when the doctor pronounced his diagnosis.

My endocrinologist explained it this way: "Doctors don't know much about it. It can come on at any time; can last for however long it chooses, cannot be controlled by diet....*long pause* There's just not that much we know about it. So here's your thyroid controlling medicine, which you'll be on for the rest of your life, and the bill."

So depressing...I almost ate the bill.

Researching online was even more confusing, but here's the jist of what I discovered: when the body's immune system creates antibodies to fight off an infection, mine decide to attack my thyroid and not so much the infection.

This leads to an enlarged thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) and an endocrine system that is just as confused as I feel. My body now betrays me by doing things like raising my blood pressure and creating chest compressing anxiety. (Thank you, extra hormones!)

And weight loss? Forgetta' 'bout it!

Last February it took me five months of eating things I didn't enjoy, working out like my life depended on it, and dreading the weekly weigh-ins...all for twelve measly pounds. This had never happened to me before.

So here's the skinny on gettin' skinny...I want to prove to myself that I can eat right, exercise, and still lose a set amount of weight; all while building my immune system and staying healthy. This blog is to help me stay focused...to know that when the scale stays the same or actually goes up, it's ok.

I'm like a salmon fighting an upstream battle. And I'm going big! Twenty pounds, baby...and only eighteen more to go!

Simply Fighting On,

2 comments:

  1. While getting old is not nearly as bad as getting a disease, it does still slow down the weight loss. I'll be praying for you! : )

    ReplyDelete