Saturday, September 22, 2018

Preparing for...

I must warn you...I've been reading headlines again.

After the last post I wrote on Freedom vs. Bondage (which also came from a headline I had read), I probably should have stopped reading things online. Inevitably, I end up clicking on the article, then reading it, and then mentally comparing how this secular trend has infiltrated Bible-believing churches. I find myself then pondering and mulling over what I've read for a few days (stewing may be a better description), before coming across verse after verse during my morning devotions that are extremely applicable to what got me going down this path in the first place.

WHEW! I just lost my breath writing that mouthful!

Needless to say I've read something else that has led me to respond from a Biblical perspective. (Funny how that word keeps popping up.)

You may have seen the same headline I did: How Lawn Mower Parent's Set Their Kids Up to Fail. A Lawn Mower Parent is basically defined as someone who mows down obstacles for their children as they try to save them from having to suffer things like adversity, conflict, rejection, failure.

Many would try to excuse this behavior by saying that that's what parents are for...or that's what parents do. But how does a Christian parent explain verses like, Thou, therefore, endure hardness as a good solider of Jesus Christ. (2 Tim. 2:3) or Take away the dross from the silver, and there shall come forth a vessel for the finer. (Prov. 25:4)

Do we forget that in order for dross (impurities) to be separated from silver, the silver must be heated to 1450 degrees Fahrenheit? It's at that temperature that silver becomes a liquid, causing the dross to float to the surface where it can be skimmed off. If the Lord uses this same technique to purify a Christian parent, don't we think He would use the same process in our children?

It becomes our responsibility then as a parent to bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Eph. 6:4), to see that we teach them to have the right perspective when faced with adversity...not to "mow down" the obstacle to make life easier or more convenient.

But Christ calls us to be disciples, followers of Him, not at our own convenience or only when it's easy. We in turn then are to bring up the next generation to follow Him as well...not quitting when faced with conflict or even the idea of possible conflict. Think about it: where would be if Jesus had quit when the Jews rejected Him? We'd still be in need of a Savior...One willing to face rejection, so that we all could truly LIVE.

Growing up as a preacher's kid, I had a front row seat to life in the ministry. I not only saw but heard my parents and my family ridiculed or mocked because of our strong Biblical standards and convictions. But I never saw my parents angry or ready to fight back. Instead I saw my Dad walk the auditorium early every morning praying for families pew by pew. I felt my Mom's arms hold me as I cried over something hurtful someone said or did. She would quietly quote verses from God's Word about trusting in Him and not leaning on my own understanding.(Prov. 3:5-6) 

We called these "teachable moments", priceless memories that I recall when, as a parent, I find myself holding my own child who has suffered some form of adversity, conflict, or failure. I desire for them to be able to learn and grow not just correctly, but Biblically...so that one day when they sit holding their own hurting child, they can then teach them to carry on...to endure...as a good solider of Jesus Christ.

After all, it's not about making it easy. It's about turning these into "teachable moments."

Simply Carrying On,

No comments:

Post a Comment