Saturday, September 29, 2018

Just a Spoonful, Please...

Don't you hate it when you have to follow your own advice?

A few weeks ago I was counseling with one of my students on what to do with a heavy burden she seemed to be carrying around. We looked at verses like Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you. from I Peter 5:7 along with Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)
Together we bowed our heads and took her burden and trouble to the Lord for Him to work and move in His own way and time...and in return asked for the peace that He promised to give.

It was amazing to see the change in her countentance after spending just a few moments with the Lord.

Fast forward three weeks...

I found myself on a break between classes dialing my husband's phone number. It seemed I was in need of some peace while under some seemingly insurmountable pressure. This school year I've found myself with new responsibilities; and with these new responsibilities, there is always a period of adjustment and working out the kinks that come with any transition.

In this case there have been many.

Plus there's the fact that when I get overwhelmed my brain starts to short circuit, and forming any coherent thought becomes an impossibility.

This is where I found myself as I called my dear hubby....and do you know what he prayed?

That I would have clarity of thought to be able to follow the same advice I give out.

It's hard to admit this, but he was right. Time to take my own medicine.

So this is confession time: over the last few weeks the Lord has taken me out of my comfort zone and thrust me into situations I've never had to deal with before. This has made me rather...uncomfortable.

That's what getting out of your comfort zone (sometimes against your will...ahem!) will do.

But through all the stress the Lord has been so good, surprising me with little bright spots here and there.

Like for instance this...
A dear lady in my church asked her sister, who was coming to visit her from Brisbane, Australia, this last week, to bring me a Starbucks mug for my collection. I was so shocked that I almost cried...and I've been using them over the last few days.

I was humbled to think someone had been thinking about me and my "You Are Here" mug collection.

Then on Thursday, a student brought me a gift with a funny tag...
Inside was a package of Maple Pumpkin wax melts; and just like the coffee mugs, this totally made my day.

So even though I've had to take my own advice over the last few weeks, these little blessings remind ...Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me...Thou annointest my head with oil; My Cup Runneth Over. (Psalm 23:4-5) And I'm reminded every day of just how my cup runneth over as I drink my coffee and enjoy the delightful scent of fall filling my house.

Feeling like the Lord has taken you out of your comfort zone lately? Rely on Him for guidance and comfort and watch your cup run over!

Simply Rejoicing in Him,

1 comment:

  1. Yes, there are times I have to take a dose of my own medicine. The Lord just keeps reminding me in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete