Thursday, September 6, 2018

Thematic Thursday...

Have you ever heard of a One Word Resolution?

Apparently I'm not the only one who runs out of words halfway through their day.

It's like a New Year's Resolutions, but simply paired down to just one word that describes a goal one would like to work toward in their spiritual life throughout a new year.

You may be thinking that I'm already planning ahead for 2019, but honestly, I can barely plan on getting through a week let alone three months before December 31st rolls into January 1st.

But  a few days ago I inadvertently landed on someone's blog...someone who I really don't know from Adam. Her post was quick and to the point of choosing the word "quietness" to be her resolution for the year, and the reason for choosing this word as a goal to work toward in her own life.

Since I quickly realized her and I were both "A" type personalities, quietness is rarely a word that fits in with who we are.

In other words, we are never quiet...and I think her and I could get along fabulously.

Her post, however, caused my thoughts to wander in the direction of a word that could possibly describe my own spiritual goal these past nine months. One quickly came to mind: perspective.

It's not a word I purposefully chose when the new year rolled around, but one that the Lord has been constantly dealing with my heart about: having the right perspective about what matters and what doesn't really matter.

I constantly struggle as an "A" type personality and find myself fretting over what needs to be done. I also get bent out of shape when everything doesn't get done....weeks in advance. But what do I sacrifice in the meantime? A right spirit? A happy home? Peace?  Joy? Contentment? An abundant Christian life?

All of these have been promised by the Lord for His children, but how many of us actually take advantage of these promises?

But I was reminded during my morning devotions to Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which He hath made crooked. (Eccl. 7:13)

Let's face it...our lives are filled with crooked paths, many of them sent by the Lord for trial, testing, or growth. It's not my job to make them straight when He desires them to be exactly as they are. It's not my job to lose my peace, my joy, my right spirit.

What is my job is to have the right perspective...to learn and grow in my walk with Him.

And I can keep my joy in the process.

Do you struggle with the right perspective? Consider the work of God...maybe He's made your path crooked to help you grow. No use crying over what can't be changed. Learn and grow, My Dear Friend.

Simply Taking a Step Back,

1 comment: