Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Here a Little, There a Little...

You've probably noticed lately that my posts have been a little sporadic: one here, one there. I'm actually quite proud of myself when I get a moment to sit down and type something that has nothing to do with school...only to find that what I end up writing about is ALL about school.

Over the last few weeks I've found that my laptop has become an extension of my arm. I'm on it to record grades, attendance, and discipline slips before classes begin in the morning. Then I rely on it to run powerpoint as I teach my lessons, and be there for me to update grades at lunch. If I'm not typing in coke codes, I'm writing up blog posts for my students with instructions on extra credit or videos to help explain any questions on the day's lesson.

I love my laptop, but seriously, there are times when we need a break from each other. But then that means not writing and journaling here. Oh, what a conundrum.

After talking all morning long I've also found that by the evening I've completely run out of things to say. I no longer give detailed answers to questions from my hubby or kiddos. It's a grunt here...a "no" there...an "oh, yeah?" thrown in...and maybe a few fragmented sentences to get pertinent information across while minimizing word usage. It's the life of a teacher.

If you wanted me to, I could tell you all about Manifest Destiny and the conflict leading up to the Civil War; how our nations laws and government were created; or what forms of matter our universe is comprised of, and how it changes but is never destroyed. Yet as soon as I step through the door to my house, there are no more words. Ahhh, blessed quietness.

I can just be....for a few minutes at least before starting work on the next days lessons, and helping the kiddos get their work done for the next day.

Oh....and I've also learned that I can put a little boys tennis shoes on upside down.

I'm not upside down (although sometimes it feels that way), but he likes to lay on his belly to see if I can actually get them on correctly...and on the right feet. For him it's a delightful game...for me? Not so much.

So besides running out of words and learning a new trick, I'm off to bed...to get up and do it all over again.

Simply Livin' On Repeat,

No comments:

Post a Comment