Wednesday, August 29, 2018

They Don't Stop Growing...

Why is it melancholia sets in when our children turn another year older?

Today my baby crosses a milestone. (I say baby, but really, she is anything but a baby) Today's her birthday and even though she is super excited about the presents she's getting, the cupcakes I made especially for her, the special phone calls from cousins far away, she doesn't quite realize how her getting older makes her Mommy and Daddy feel...well, that much sadder.

We started reminiscing last night after taking her for a special birthday dinner.
This story could begin: It was a dark and stormy night...

Seriously, my mom, hubby, and I had to make a mad dash to the hospital in the middle of a wild thunderstom after suffering through contractions at home for over ten hours....only to be sent home when the contractions stopped once we were situated in an observation room at the hopsital.

I had even spent an hour running the stairs in the lobby before they sent me home because I was so determined I was having that baby! No such luck.

The next morning I woke up in more pain than the night before, but this time we took our time getting ready before heading up to the hospital. We even stopped at Whataburger for breakfast (I did NOT eat), but they took forever getting our order together.

I may have been heard saying in the midst of a contraction, "I can make breakfast faster than this!"

On the way we were faced with a dilemma: for months the Texas Department of Transportation had been reminding people that they would be shutting the interstate (one of our routes to the hospital) down to remove an overpass in one of their many roadwork projects.

You guessed it...this was the day. We figured everyone would certainly be avoiding even being on the interstate, only to be shocked when we found five lanes of bumper to bumper traffic...and they were not moving.

In a power move my husband reversed up the on ramp to the instertate, much to the chagrine of sheriff who was monitoring the traffic. Boy, was he angry as he motioned quite pointedly Pull over!

I may have been heard saying while in the middle of a contraction: "Officer...pant, pant...I'm in labor....pant, pant, pant...andwereonourwaytothehospital...pant, pant, pant!" Needless to say he was not interested in delivering a baby on the side of the road.

An epidural, a nap, and five hours later, our baby girl, Melody, was born...
...with a full head of black hair.

Boy, was she a cutie!
I miss these days....well, sort of.

And just because we're reminiscing...
...back to the days when I was way skinnier and my baby was still "My Baby."

Happy birthday, my Melody! We are so very thankful for you and your sweet, sweet spirit!

Simply Signing Off for Now,

No comments:

Post a Comment