Monday, March 28, 2022

Over Forty...

It's tough getting old. The body slows down, the hair turns gray, the skin starts to wrinkle. Sometimes these changes are a tough pill to swallow.

Tuesday my daughter and I went to have our eyes checked and to order new glasses. As you can imagine, everything went well for my daughter. After all, she has the advantage of youth...not to sound bitter or anything. But when it was my turn for the chair...well, everything went down hill from there. Big words like presbyopia and progressive lenses were bantered around (mostly by the doctor) to help with things like reading. 

Unfortunately I had opened my big mouth at the start of the appointment and admitted that I was having a wee bit of trouble focusing on my books when I was teaching. You know--the trombone motion until you get it just the right distance? Yeah....

So your eyesite begins declining at forty...

Precious words every aging woman wants to hear.

You might be surprised to know that wasn't the first time that day those very same words were spoken to me. Just two hours earlier I had watched the reflection of my beloved hair dresser as her mouth formed the words...begins declining at forty...in the mirror in front of me. 

Grant it, she was trying to do her best to help calm me down after I discovered my hair was frayed and dried out to the point of being brittle. She even went so far as to have me come to her shop right away to see her, patting me on the shoulder, and telling me to take a deep breath, everything would be ok. Then she proceeded to put her hands on my hair and with a horrified expression, exclaimed: IS THIS POST-COVID HAIR?!?!?

I knew I was right to panic.

No, it wasn't post-covid hair. Already been there and suffered that: an unusal amount of hair loss shortly after being sick. Oh, it's a very real thing, let me tell you.

She then went on to tell me that women over forty  (Ugh! Those words again) should not shampoo their hair everyday. It strips the hair of natural oils and causes it to dry out. Oh, and I should definitely start taking powdered collagen.

Now what did we learn today? My hair dresser said as she unsnapped the cape from around my neck.

Hmmm....what did I learn?

Only one lesson I can think: It's tough getting old.

Simply Geriatric,

2 comments:

  1. I chuckled as I read your post about being over 40. I have heard it all also. I wear progressive lenses. The biggest thing, trust your hair dresser. I wash my hair every 2 to 3 days so the oils stay in the hair and I take collagen. The collagen is good for us who take the 81mg aspirin. Keeps the skin strong. I do not color my hair - I like my silver. Almost like it's a right of passage to growing older. You will get through this. Just keep writing your blogs - I love them. My love to all of you. From Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear from you! Thank you for leaving me a note...especially from the World's Best Aunt! Love you!

    ReplyDelete