Monday, June 20, 2022

Blooming...

You've heard the phrase Bloom where you're planted, right? You can find various definitions of this statement online. One author described this as capitalizing on your talents and gifts regardless of your circumstances and apply them to 'bear fruit" or be productive. This corresponds nicely with a Biblical principle found in John 15:8: Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. To bear much fruit, we have to do some work: we go, we plant, we water, and wait for God to give the increase.

But Bloom where your planted could also mean that we are simply to be content wherever God has placed us in life and to make the most of the opporunities that come our way. The Apostle Paul practiced this principle when he wrote to the church at Philippi: Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. (Phil. 4:11)

At our Ladies Missionary Luncheon last week, one of our missionary wives to Spain was asked a question about what she struggled with when transitioning from one country to the next. I found her answer most profound: "When I'm there, I live there. When I'm here, I live here. I just ask for one day when we first arrive, all to myself. After that, I'm all good." 

This struck a chord with me. It's difficult to move away from family and friends...from home. There's the fear of the unknown...of living in a strange new place, of having to learn a new area, sometimes a new language, having to make new friends...simply settling down. Unfortunately what happens is that we focus more on the homesickness, the loneliness, the fear...all these emotions, that our attention is drawn away from our main mission: planting roots and learning to bloom. 

The word bloom is an action verb, implying that you have to be intentional about this. Are you in the center of God's will? Then you have to make a conscious decision to have the right attitude, to reign in those emtions, and get busy in the work of the Lord. 

What great words of wisdom: If you live there, then live there. If you live here, then live here. Bloom where your planted.

Simply Blooming,

4 comments: