Tuesday, November 8, 2022

In Everything Give Thanks...

It's been awhile since I've been able to sit and write. October consisted of volleyball games and tournaments, multiple church activities, and revival services. When November 1st rolled around, I felt like I could finally just breathe...and get my laundry done.

Still working on that last one, but it's a never ending process. *sigh*

We're celebrating Thanksgiving in a couple of weeks. Since the season of gratitude is upon us, it's not uncommon for us to openly express what we are most thankful for. Most of the time what we're thankful for are all the good things: health, salvation, love, family, provisions. What we usually leave out are the hardships we've faced or what we've endured in our life's journey.

I was challenged this last week by a blog post from LOL in Ministry about being thankful about the things we often overlook: those pesky, sometimes unbearable, hard times. I for one would not like to have to re-live miscarrying my baby.  Those days were filled with overwhelming grief and sadness. I also wouldn't want to go back to the first few days of my youngest's life. Shortly after he was born he was transferred to the NICU where he was being treated for a heart murmur and low oxygen. Those days were dark and exhausting: mentally, physically, and spritually. 

There have been other times when I didn't even know how to pray, couldn't even formulate words because the pain, the disappointment, the anger, the betrayal were just too great. 

Reading back through what I've written so far, this post is starting to sound alot like David in Psalm 77: my sore ran in the night, and ceased not: my soul refused to be comforted. I remembered God and was troubled: I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed....I am so troubled that I cannot speak...Hath God forgotten to be gracious: hath He in anger shut up His tender mercies? When I start to read King David's words I feel depressed and sad. It's hard to be thankful in the bad times. 

But can I tell you just how much we need them? The Lord in His wonderful love and mercy uses those times to remove dross that there shall come forth a vessel for the finer. (Prov. 25:4) He uses those times to mold us and make us more like Him. Sometimes He needs us to do something greater in His service so He begins to prepare us with lessons on humility, patience, prayer, and even praise. Maybe He needs us to be ready to help another brother or sister in Christ who will struggle through the same trial.

 Yes, the promise in Romans 8:28 is still very much true: And we know that All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.

All those bad times...we may not want to relive them, but during this season of thanksgiving, we can certainly be thankful for them. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (I Thess. 5:18)

Simply Grateful,

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Kari! It helps me sometimes when I see the purpose of the bad times, but since Romans 8:28 is true, I’m working on being thankful for those times even when I can’t see the “why”. I’m a work in progress on that one. 😏

    ReplyDelete