Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Out of the Mouth of Babes...

Have you ever wondered what runs through a child's mind while carrying on a conversation with an adult? It's true that they say some of the cutest things, and sometimes you're never quite sure what can happen.

Take for instance this dialog between a junior church worker and the three year old little girl she was helping wash her hands in the church bathroom on Sunday morning:

Worker: I like your new hair cut. (Little girl smiles at herself in the mirror) When did you get it cut?

Little Girl: Mommy cut it in the back.

Her head swivels back and forth in the mirror as she checks out that new hair cut.

I catch her eye in the mirror and she turns to see me washing my hands like her. She smiles and I smile back.

Worker: No, I mean, WHEN did you get it cut.

She turns back to the mirror and her darling little face puckers in thought. I dry my hands slowly, anticipating her answer.

Little Girl: In the kitchen.

I huff a laugh as I turn to go. And we'll just leave it at that, I say as I head out the door.

The following day as I was busy preparing dinner, my four year old came to me with quite the problem:

Four Year Old: Mommy, the game won't work on the tabwet.

Since we'd been having this problem all day my answer came automatically...

Me: I know and I'm so sorry but that tablet is pretty old. Some games are just too new to play on it.

He makes an "icky" face at me while I continue:

Me: Do you know when I bought that tablet? I continue after he shakes his head no. I bought that tablet when you were in Mommy's tummy.

It dawns on me at this point that I'm beginning to enter uncharted and dangerous waters if I'm not careful. By the confused look on his face, he is really having a hard time grasping his four year old self in mommy's tummy.

He points to his tummy.

Four Year Old: In this tummy?

Me: You were in MY tummy and you were much smaller then.

I steer the conversation into safer waters (or so I thought) just as the word How? comes out of his little mouth.

Me: Then we went to the hospital where you came out, then we brought you home...

I trail off this line of explanation when again his little nose scrunches in confusion, and I realize I'm now swimming with sharks in these uncharted waters.

Drawing an imaginary line from his stomach up and out his mouth he questions...

Four Year Old: I came out your mouth?

AAAaaannnddd that was enough of that conversation. Back to the problem with the "tabwet".

Those little kiddos...you just never know what is going through their minds or where a conversation with one might lead. Have you been privy to any interesting conversaton with a little one recently? Do share in the fun!

Simply Keepin' It Real,

2 comments:

  1. My “highlight-worthy” conversations have come from my 7-year-old who has decided that she must loudly proclaim (correctly) that so and so is NOT dressed modestly or that “that man” is wearing earrings and he shouldn’t be. This is followed by me trying to handle it such a way that doesn’t confuse right and wrong and also try not to further embarrass myself....or any other adult that happens to be with us at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Guess we should work on the definitions of "when" and "where".

    In another note, I nannies while I was pregnant with that 3 year old. And when I was 7 months or so along, the 4 year old girl i watched asked me "why did you ate your baby and put it in your belly? That wasn't very nice!"

    ReplyDelete