Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Weary...

Why is it that being a parent is so hard?

I used to think that if we trained them well when they were younger, that one day, when they became teenagers, it would all pay off. Things would go so much smoother because there would be no hang-ups or hiccups. We had already put in so much work.

Then one day I woke up from my dreaming to find that not only did my oldest two grow physically, their problems grew right along with them.

A dear friend recently likened this to leveling up in a video game. As you level up, the game gets more intense, the work harder. 

Unfortunately, life isn't a game, and we only have one shot to get this right. There will be no starting over from the checkpoint or respawning at the beginning of the level. No, we have to get this right the. very. first. time.

No pressure.

I guess this gives new meaning to and be not weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. (Gal. 6:9) If there is one thing I can definitely say, it's so very easy to get weary.

You'd think by now I'd be a pro dealing with teenagers. After all, teaching them in a classroom has been my heart for the last fifteen years. Sure there are days where I have to pull a student aside to give them the motivational speech of I believe you can do so much more than what you're giving me right now.

In fact I recently found myself sitting down in the desk next to one student, and beginning my Please stay after class speech with the admission that being an adult is way harder than being a teenager. I think she was a little suprised by my honesty; and I have to say, I really hadn't planned on saying that.

What I wanted her to understand is that the skills and habits I was working to form in her character now, were all in preparation for what she was about to face once she became an adult. Sometimes having to sit through correction from me was painful and just no fun. Yet it was always with her best interest in mind...with the goal for her to be successful wherever the Lord led her. That meant I expected so much more than just some flimsy excuse that was basically just a way to cover up for poor time management.

Know what? It's the same challenge I face as a parent. If I want my children to be used of the Lord as an adult, I don't have the luxury of coddling them or excusing bad behavior now. How does it help them to know when I don't agree with someone in authority over them? What will they learn from that? I've found that this only breeds rebellion and more behavioral problems.

Does that mean that I always agree with how others treat my children? Absolutely not. I'm going to be honest here and admit that there have been times I'd have liked to unleash my inner Mamma-Bear. I want to roar out my displeasure in defense of my child. But again, how does that help them grow up godly? Maybe the Lord sent that situation into their life to teach them an important lesson. Do I really want to be the one who hinders my Heavenly Father from working in their life?

No, my job is to teach them to humble themselves, to learn from those who the Lord puts over them, to get along with others, to be the best that they can be for the Lord...no matter their age and no matter their situation. They need to cultivate these good habits now while they're young. If not, they will turn out to be whiners and complainers, never taking responsibility for their own actions, and living with the mantra that life just isn't fair

But all of this training spells T-I-M-E...and it's so very, very important we take extra careful time now if we're going to raise champions for Christ.

So here I go...gearing up to get back into the fight. The lives of my children hang in the balance and I've simply got to be successful.

...and be not weary...

Simply Carrying On,

No comments:

Post a Comment