Monday, July 25, 2022

Furnish...

My kids came home from camp Friday, so excited about the week they had had, the games they had played, the messages they had heard, the decisions they had made. After dropping their luggage off in their bedrooms, they were content to spend a couple of hours in the kitchen with my dear hubby and I sharing their stories. There was such joy on their faces and eagerness in their voices. 

God did some mighty things in their hearts this week. My son came home looking forward to going to Bible college with the hope of joining a singing tour group. My daughter dedicated her life to serving the Lord wherever He may choose. And they're EXCITED about their decisions, which makes me excited for them!

In the midst of all their chatter, I was reminded of a sermon I had heard recently from Psalm 78, when the children of Israel had mockingly asked the question in verse 19: Can God furnish a table in the wilderness? 

What a silly question to ask! Had they not seen all that God had done from them when He brought them out of Egypt? He had divided the Red Sea and had allowed them to pass through...on dry ground, I might add. He had led them with a cloud by day and a light of fire by night. He had provided streams of water out of rocks so they could have something to drink.

With all these blessings, one would think the Israelites would have had more faith that God could have provided for them in the wilderness. But no matter what they had seen and had experienced, they continued to sin against God. They tempted Him in their hearts, and they spake against Him. Over and over again, God had proven Himself to them, and yet they continually doubted that He could provide food for them in the midst of the barren wilderness.

Our world today is figuratively like that barren wilderness. So much uncertainty and turmoil...so much craziness. And yet, in the midst of all this spiriutal wasteland, God is still doing amazing and wonderful things. He's still saving sinners, He's still adding to the church, He's still answering prayer. He's still calling men and women to be laborers in His field. He's still providing for His children. The blessings just keep coming...over, and over, and over again.

I am both humbled and amazed at the goodness of my Heavenly Father in my life and the life of my children. Psalm 23 takes on a deeper, more personal meaning when I reflect on that fact that He is my Shepherd. He makes me to lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside the still waters and restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake so that as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for He is with me. His rod and His staff comforts me. He prepares a table before me, in the presence of my enemies. He annoints my head with oil; my cup continually runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever

Can God furnish a table in the wilderness? Why, you silly Israelites, God can do more than just furnish a table. He can provide a banquet of tables overflowing with bounty and blessings. Those who come can eat their fill, enjoy the bounty of His provisions, and walk away satisfied and filled. And He can do this, not just in the most desolate of places, but also during the most uncertain of times.

Simply Feasting,

3 comments: