Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Candied Pecans...

Oh No! I have a wonderful new addiction, thanks to my Mom. We were on the phone the other night, just chit-chatting like we normally do when the conversation became a little...stilted. I knew she had to be doing something, checking e-mail, grading papers.

"Okay, Mom. What are you doing?" I finally asked, realizing she probably hadn't even heard anything I'd said.

"Hmmm?" Non-commital but an answer none the less.

"M-o-m...?"

Her reply this time was actually a little more in depth: she was pursuing through this website called Pinterest.

I know, I know. I may be behind the times. I don't Facebook, don't Twitter, don't MySpace...does anyone do MySpace anymore?  But Pinterest?

Curiosity won out as I snuck out of view of my children who were busy playing in the living room and on to my trusty computer. Less than a minute later (I have super-fast internet!!!) I was hooked, addicted, drawn in...ain't never goin' back. And it's all thanks to my Mom.

Now for the second part of this story. Remember all those pecans I labored over a few weeks ago? If you'd like a refresher, HERE and HERE are those two wonderful memories that I posted about. Well, I really wanted to do something special with them as small gifts to our neighbors but was truly lacking on exactly what to do.

Enter Pinterest. While wandering from one pin to the next I thought that I would see if anyone had a great recipe for cinnamon pecans.  Below is the most delicious concoction I found and just about as addicting as Pinterest. Enjoy!!

Candied Pecans
1 Egg White
1/2 C. Sugar
1 Teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon salt
2 Cups raw shelled pecans

Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk the egg white until light and foamy. A drop or two of water helps break up the egg white, making it easier to whisk.

2.  Add the sugar, spices, and salt to the bowl.

3.  Whisk until incorporated.
4.  Add the nuts to the bowl and coat them completely in the egg white mixture.

5.  Spread the pecans evenly onto a parchment or tin foil lined baking sheet. Put in a preheated 300 degree oven.
6.  Bake for about 30 minutes. Every few minutes turn the nuts in the pan.  They will be done when they are dry and the nuts are toasted and brown.

7.  While they are still warm, I like to give them an extra sprinkle of salt. You do not have to though. Let the pecans cool completely before you package them.

1 comment:

  1. We found an old couple in Lake Jackson that cracked and bagged up some HUGE pecans and sold them for five dollars a bag. Stuffed. I LOVE the smell of the pecans in the mall......a sample of ONE is never enough.
    I don't go to Pinterest very often....need to get over there again!

    ReplyDelete